|0. I was born in
London in 1985 and
I still live there.
1. My debut novel Boxer, Beetle ("Exhilarating" - Sunday Times) was shortlisted for the Guardian First Book Award and the Desmond Elliott Prize and won the UK Writers' Guild Award and the Goldberg Prize for Outstanding Debut Fiction.
1.i read some reviews
1.ii try the first chapter
1.iii refer to the bibliography
2. My second novel The Teleportation Accident ("Extraordinary" – Sunday Times) was longlisted for the Man Booker Prize and the Premio Gregor von Rezzori and won the Encore Award and a Somerset Maugham Award. Following its publication I was named one of Granta's Best of Young British Novelists 2013.
2.i read some reviews
2.ii try the first chapter
2.iii refer to the readers' guide
3. My third novel Glow ("Dazzling" – Financial Times) was published in 2014.
3.i read some reviews
3.ii try the first chapter
3.iii refer to an FAQ
3.iv listen to a Spotify playlist of semi-recent music that helped to inspire it
4. My fourth novel Madness Is Better Than Defeat ("Triumphant" – Financial Times) was published in 2018.
4.i read some reviews
4.ii refer to an FAQ
5. My fifth novel Venomous Lumpsucker will be published in July 2022 by Sceptre in the UK and Soho Press in the US.
6. This is my Twitter account, this is my Letterboxd account and this is my semi-dormant blog. I have also written for the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, London Review of Books, Cabinet, Frieze, Dazed & Confused, Fantastic Man, Esquire, BBC Radio 3 and 4, and various other places.
7. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I am represented by Lutyens and Rubinstein (and, for film and television, by Casarotto).
photo by Alice Neale